Japanese wrestler Fumita wins 60kg Greco-Roman silver in Tokyo
Japanese wrestler Kenichiro Fumita won a silver medal after losing to Cuban Luis Orta Sanchez in the Greco-Roman men’s 60 kilogram final in Tokyo
Japan’s Murakami makes history with bronze in floor exercise
Japan’s Mai Murakami won the bronze medal in the women’s floor exercise at the Tokyo Olympics on Monday, making history by becoming the country’s first gymnast to finish on the podium in an individual event.
Belarusian Olympian gets visa from Poland after refusing to return home
A Belarusian athlete who was withdrawn from the Tokyo Olympics against her will and refused to board a return flight has obtained a humanitarian visa from Poland, a senior diplomat from the country said on Monday.
Japan worries about creation of Olympic food site in South Korea following Fukushima woes
Japan has raised concerns with South Korea over its delegation setting up its own food service at the Tokyo Olympics to prevent athletes from eating meals containing ingredients from Fukushima, the birthplace of the 2011 nuclear accident, Japanese government sources said on Monday.
Olympics: red Takuya Kai propels Japan to baseball semifinals
Takuya Kai scored the single in the winning run in the 10th inning as Japan came from behind to beat the United States 7-6 on Monday to advance to the Olympic baseball semifinals in Tokyo.
MORE HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE TOKYO SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES
- Heat and humidity in Japan have become a major obstacle for athletes competing in the Tokyo Olympics, although organizers stress that they have taken sufficient measures to prevent such conditions from posing a risk to their health.
American gymnastics superstar Simone Biles to compete in women’s beam USA Gymnastics tweeted on Tuesday, making a return to competition after withdrawing from several events citing mental health issues.
- The Dominican Republic topped Japan 3-1 in the women’s volleyball tournament on Monday, end the host team’s chances of qualifying for the quarter-finals.
- After three unsuccessful pull-off attempts on Monday, Laurel Hubbard’s Olympics were over, but the impact she had as a Games’ first transgender athlete will last much longer.
- The Japanese took a comfortable 3-0 victory over Taiwan for assault in the semi-finals of the table tennis team event at the Tokyo Olympics on Monday, completing a triumphant day for the host nation’s paddlers.
- Japan’s Yuki Hashioka finished sixth in the men’s long jump on Monday at the Tokyo Olympics as Miltiadis Tentoglou gave Greece their first gold medal in the event.
- from Japan women’s basketball team led for all but the first five minutes to beat Group B opponent Nigeria 102-83 in their final group game on Monday, qualifying for the playoffs for the second consecutive Olympics.
- Japan reported 8,393 new cases of coronavirus on Monday, nearly double the figure confirmed on the same day the previous week, as infections continue to increase in and around the capital where the Olympic Games are held.
- Ecuadorian Sports Minister Sebastian Palacios said the Olympic Games currently underway in Tokyo are important to unite the world through the power of sport during a difficult time with the coronavirus pandemic.
- Temporary post offices opened in Tokyo Olympic Athletes’ Village and main press center have become valuable souvenir shops for foreign athletes and journalists whose activities are restricted amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- An Olympic relationship vehicle driven by games volunteer injured two people in suspected hit-and-run incident on a highway Sunday evening in Tokyo, police said on Monday.
- Seventeen more people associated with the Tokyo Olympics have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total since early July to 276, the games organizers said on Monday.
- Tomoa Narasaki has never hidden his desire to become the first Olympic gold medalist in sport climbing and he remains the favorite in Tokyo after continuing his calculated progress in this pandemic year.
- The Tokyo Olympics may have none of the cosmopolitan excitement typically brought to the games by people around the world applauding in different languages and waving colorful flags, but super fan Kyoko Ishikawa plans to create a buzz anyway.
GAMES IN PHOTOS
China’s Wang Zhouyu successfully lifted 145 kilograms in the clean and jerk portion of the 87 kilogram women’s weightlifting event at the Tokyo Olympics on August 2, 2021, at the Tokyo International Forum. Wang won gold. (Kyodo) == Kyodo
Anne-Marie Rindom of Denmark celebrates with the gold medal in the Women’s Radial Laser Sailing Class of the Tokyo Olympics on August 1, 2021, at Enoshima Marina in Fujisawa in Kanagawa Prefecture, east from Japan. (Kyodo) == Kyodo