The region’s brightest sports stars were honored at the rural town of Murray Bridge’s first sports awards last week.
The new annual awards night recognizes local athletic talent who have demonstrated outstanding achievement on or off the athletic field.
The 2021 award winners are:
- Athlete of the Year – Male Winner: Jared Marston (cricket); finalists: Noel Kneebone (pétanque)
- Sports Personality of the Year – Female Winner: Olivia Bolt (netball), finalists: Courtney Manning (tennis) and Laurette Norton (table tennis)
- Young Athlete of the Year – Male Winner: Kurt Bustamante (basketball); runner-up: Blake Langton (Australian football)
- Young Athlete of the Year – Female Winner: Roxanna Tyler (basketball); finalists: Armani Marsters (golf)
- Sport Volunteer of the Year winner: Ian Bates (cricket and Australian football), finalists: Peter Newell (rowing), Michelle Afford (netball) and John Bartel (karting)
Mayor Brenton Lewis thanked everyone who attended for being part of the awards and jury of volunteers nominated by the Council’s Sports and Recreation Advisory Group.
“Although this is a new program, the number of nominations received this year has significantly exceeded what was previously received in the Australia Day Athlete Awards category, and this is expected to be true. will only increase dramatically in the future, “he said.